The ADR Institute of Canada (ADRIC) is recognized as Canada’s preeminent Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) professional organization.
Access to Alternative Dispute Resolution processes such as mediation and arbitration provides families, workplaces, businesses and communities with efficient and effective ways to resolve their disputes without recourse to the Courts and litigation. The demand for ADR is growing in the justice system, in our personal and professional relationships, and in every sector of our economy.
ADRIC sets the standard for best practices for ADR in Canada and provides leadership, value and support to our individual and corporate members and to our clients.We provide education and certification, promote ethical standards and professional competency, and advocate for all forms of ADR for public and private disputes.
LEADING DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN CANADA
À L’AVANT-PLAN DE LA RÉSOLUTION DES DIFFÉRENDS AU CANADA
We are a vibrant Federation that delivers value to our members and the public by:
- Staying on the leading edge of ADR and best practices in Canada and the world
- Supporting the development of the ADR profession and professionals through information sharing, professional development initiatives, business supports and networking
- Providing standards and professional designations to ensure ethics and competence in the provision of ADR services.
- Being a Hub of information and resources to help people and organizations become aware of and learn about ADR and how it can help their families, business and organizations.
- Assisting people and organizations access the ADR professionals they need.
- Collaborating with other organizations to influence the field of ADR and its effective use in both Canada and Internationally
Accountability: We honour our commitments. We are disciplined in fulfilling our governance responsibilities.
Collaboration: We leverage our strength as a national federation. We seek out and build partnerships that provide mutual benefit.
Excellence: We are passionate about dispute resolution. We strive for excellence through professionalism. We constantly evolve and challenge our best practices to add value to those who use our services.
Integrity: We are ethical, honest and transparent in everything we do. We value our diversity and demonstrate respect for everyone.
Leadership: We seek out innovative ideas and approaches to lead ADR in Canada to build a stronger organization and ADR community.
ABOUT ADRIC AND REGIONAL AFFILIATES:
More than two thousand ADR practitioners across the country belong to ADRIC through Regional Affiliates in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces.
ADRIC and its seven regional Affiliates collaborate to build greater awareness of ADR, provide more accessible resolution options and ensure the availability of certified ADR professionals via a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
OF INTEREST TO MEMBERS:
- Recognized practice designations that include the Chartered Mediator (C.Med), Chartered Arbitrator (C.Arb), Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb) and Qualified Mediator (Q.Med) designations. These designations assist the public to choose a practitioner who is practicing at a specific level and whose qualifications have been reviewed by a professional body for enhanced quality assurance.
- A professional framework that includes standards for education and practice including a Code of Ethics and a Mediator’s Code of Conduct. This framework (which includes a Discipline and Complaint Procedure) provides the public with an important measure of protection. As a member of ADRIC, you are a member of a self-regulating and highly respected professional body.
- Networking and educational opportunities.
- Access to Introductory and “Gold Standard” training courses.
- Preferred rates for professional liability, business and personal insurance.
- A unified voice for ADR practitioners in speaking to government and the private sector.
- Valuable marketing opportunities including listing on ADR CONNECT, a national database of members from which the public may select an ADR practitioner.
- The National Mediation Rules and the ADRIC Arbitration Rules, which are widely accepted throughout Canada for the resolution of commercial disputes.
Click here for more information about your local ADRIC affiliate.
FOR CONSUMERS OF ADR SERVICES:
ADRIC’s referral, selection, appointment and administration services for parties with disputes that are governed by the ADRIC Arbitration Rules or National Mediation Rules are excellent and reasonable. Benefits include the appointment of a mediator or arbitrator if the parties can’t agree on one. The Arbitration Rules also provide access to urgent relief when needed, and up-to-date procedural rules to ensure fair and timely decision-making.
Whether ADRIC administers the case or not, members of the public, lawyers and other professionals in need of ADR services can simply consult ADR CONNECT, call our office for assistance in sourcing the ADR professional best suited to their needs or complete a simple form.
In selecting a practitioner who is an ADRIC member you are assured of the member’s commitment to upholding ADRIC’s Code of Conduct and Code of Ethics. Take further confidence in selecting a member who has the Chartered Mediator or Chartered Arbitrator designation – ADRIC’s highest, or the entry level designations Qualified Mediator or Qualified Arbitrator. Designations indicate the practitioner’s degree of skill and experience as a professional in the field.