Online Dispute Resolution and the Courts Zoom Presentation
Online Dispute Resolution and the Courts
Join us for a Conversation with
Justice Deno Himonas, Utah Supreme Court & Paul Embley, CIO, The National Center for State Courts
Hosted by the National Center for Technology and Dispute Resolution
Tuesday, February 9, 2021 1:00-2:00pm EST
Join via https://umass-amherst.zoom.us/j/97173328473
Topics to explore include:
- USX experience with the Utah court ODR system
- What is the future for Utah ODR, including which case types are next
- What about criminal cases – is there a place for ODR there?
- Does AI have a role in ODR?
- Role of facilitators and how they are different from mediators in ODR
- How does regulatory reform fit in?
Justice Deno Himonas
Justice Constandinos (Deno) Himonas was appointed to the Utah Supreme Court in 2015. For the decade prior, he served as a trial court judge
in a court of general jurisdiction. Justice Himonas is deeply involved in the access-to-justice movement and often can be found speaking about
access-to-justice issues around the country.
Paul Embley is the Technology Division Director at the National Center for State Courts. He has led justice-related IT assessments and technology
initiatives ranging from child welfare and terrorist watchlist to online dispute resolution. He is currently involved in international, national, and localized
technology initiatives for criminal and civil justice with a special emphasis on ODR.