ADRIC recently polled its members to determine those that offer online/distance video mediation, arbitration and other Dispute Resolution (DR) services and has developed this list for the public and counsels’ easy reference. Each professional is listed with their email address, the DR services they offer and the time/experience in online practice. Learn more about the practitioner by entering their last name into our directory: ADR Connect.
We recommend you discuss the following with your DR professional as part of your selection process:
Mandatory Practices for Every Platform1
- Discussion with all parties on the benefits and risks of online mediation/arbitration and the platform being used;
- Clear and unequivocal informed consent from all parties to proceed with the online session.
- Agreements that specifically addresses online processes and issues
- Participant letter and checklist detailing all technology and other practices and requirements
- Pre‐meeting online session to test and address technical issues prior to the actual session
- Secondary contact information for all parties available to the mediator to help manage technical issues during the session
- Agreed processes for securely sharing documents during the session. There are numerous options from cloud locations to secure email to various screen‐sharing options which should be explored and decided prior to the session;
- Agreed processes for securely signing settlement documents during the session;
- Adherence to minimum security protocols for online video mediation/arbitration, etc. applicable to the platform you choose;
Recommended Best Practices
- Establish a back‐up process in the event of technology issues. This could include:
- Conference call facilities booked and ready, if needed;
- Secondary video meeting technology booked and ready, if needed;
- Exchange of cellphone or other telephone numbers that allow texts and calls among participants and mediator.
1 We are grateful to our affiliate: ADR Institute of Ontario for developing the list of mandatory and recommended practices.
Click here for the list of ADRIC practitioners who provide online/distance video services (PDF).